Happiness Junkies are a duo from Amsterdam (The Netherlands). They write, record and perform music that is described as melancholic slow-beat rock. With electric guitar and piano entwined, female vox and a rhythm box, the duo achieves a mesmerizing sound, a "slow groove for a fast world." The duo have been added to numerous Spotify playlists as well as college and commercial radio around the world. Happiness Junkie's will be featured on That Summer, Volume 2, a sizzling summer compilation album that will host the best independent artists, from around the world, in multiple genres.
1. What is the name of the song you have featured on ‘That Summer, Volume 2’ - How does your song remind you of summer or how does it fit into a summer album?
"You Can Leave Your Light On"- in fact the song reminds us that the 'feeling of summer' comes from within... like a sun that shines from within, no matter what the weather is...
2. What is the inspiration behind your song? Or what is your song about?
The thought behind the song: would it be possible in a world so full of contrast, to just leave your light on...?
3. How did you write your featured song? Or can you describe your songwriting process?
This particular song 'landed' while El was fiddling around a bit on the piano and started singing the opening melody line of the verse 'I know your rights, I know your wrongs, and don't you think the world will carry on...' recognizing the special vibe of maybe the birth of a new song, Onno immediately plugged in his guitar in his small VOX amp, and started to play a counter melody-part. it built up to a crescendo, which we liked so much, that we couldn't stop playing it...
4. Of every song you have ever written, what is your favorite and why?
The next song is always favorite to us... cos you never know what will land on your lap tomorrow :-) but we both absolutely love You Can Leave Your Light On, to us it definitely has a bit of extra magic...
5. Who or what has inspired you most in your music career?
Onno was inspired by the sense of freedom which you find in music and expressing yourself through sounds instead of words. and from early on, watching guys swinging their guitar on television made him wanna do the same... for El singing and playing the piano has from early on been a way to express her deepest feelings and her wonders about life. John Lennon is one of her all time inspirations...
6. Tell us where you live and what the music scene is like there?
We live in the Amsterdam-area, and in the city 'where everything is possible' there is always music everywhere; at the corner of the street, jamsessions in clubs, or bands playing in club The Milky Way or the famous Paradiso (a former church where The Rolling Stones recorded their live album Stripped). our own little scene is revolving around our 'music monk life', as we love the songwriting and recording process a lot and get lost for hours and hours in our own 'music-meditation space'...
7. Do you have any advice for new independent artists who are just starting out?
Don't follow the hypes, be true to yourself, do what you love, and follow what feels right...
8. What are your plans for the summer? Doing anything fun and exciting?
We live in a country (The Netherlands) where the sun usually doesn't shine all summer long, so over here we grasp every opportunity to enjoy, like swimming in natural waters (the beach is pretty close), or checking out some inspiring outdoor gigs, and we love travelling and hope to see some more of Italy this summer..
9. What’s coming up in the future
We are currently writing songs for our next album and will start recording them this summer. after the release and promotion of the second Happiness Junkies album, we would love to play live again, with our little set-up of piano, vox, guitar/bass and a rhythm box... can't wait!
10. Tell us where fans can access your music. Links to streams, downloads, cd's and merchandise at website.