Kalina & Kiana
Updated: Aug 6, 2019
California-based pop duo Kalina & Kiana are siblings who have been singing harmonies together since they were babies, still buckled into their car seats! Their music and high-energy shows are filled with magnetic hooks that will have you singing along by the second chorus. In 2007, they formed an all-girl band called The Raymies and began writing songs at ages 11 & 13. They led The Raymies for 3 years and gained stage experience with more than 100 live performances. Their dad produced the music, while John Stamos produced a TV pilot for Disney to serve as a launching platform. The show was scheduled to replace Hannah Montana.
When Disney only wanted Kalina & Kiana, the girls passed on the deal in an effort to keep the band (friendships) intact. In the end, the Raymies ended and Kalina & Kiana continued to move forward with a TV deal in Europe and a rigorous touring schedule. After The Raymies, Kalina & Kiana entered an exclusive development deal for a musical TV project in Europe. While the show was in it's early stages, the duo continued to create music under the pseudonym of Rocky’s Revival. As Rocky's Revival gained momentum, they faced another challenge - Kalina was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She went through chemotherapy and is now in complete remission! During the cancer treatments, the girls coined the phrase “gigs with wigs” and they opened for world famous groups like The Bangles and Justin Bieber, with Kalina sporting a wig onstage! As Kalina recovered, they wrote for other projects including “Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir” and “Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends.” The European show began production in 2016. Kalina & Kiana continue to write songs for, and occasionally guest appear in the show now titled, “Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends,” now in season 3 on Netflix worldwide.” Kalina & Kiana will be featured on That Summer, Volume 2 , a sizzling summer compilation album hosting the best independent artists, from around the world, in multiple genres.
1. What is the name of the song you have featured on ‘That Summer, Volume 2’ - How does your song remind you of summer or how does it fit into a summer album?/
We had a friend tell us that “That Thing” is the kind of song that you want to listen to while you drive down Pacific Coast Highway with your windows down. If that doesn’t scream summer, then I don’t know what does.
2. What is the inspiration behind your song? Or what is your song about?
“That Thing” is about all of the feelings you have at the beginning of a relationship. You’re nervous, you stutter, they drive you crazy (in a good way, of course), and you couldn’t be happier.
That indescribable thing that the other person does puts you in a state of euphoria.
3. How did you write your featured song? Or can you describe your songwriting process?
Our writing process is always different, but for this song specifically, Kiana came in with the idea for “That Thing.” She had the first verse and half of the chorus. It really didn’t take long to finish up the song. “That Thing” was a song that flowed naturally and the different sections came easily. We try to be conscious of movements, lifts and recurring themes in our writing lately. We also knew it would be a song with a lot of vocal parts and a groovy bass line. We knew exactly where it was going when it started and that was a cool feeling.
Please take a moment to check out the new video of "That Thing"
4. Of every song you have ever written, what is your favorite and why?
This is such a tough question! We have written over 100 songs throughout the years. It’s so hard to pick a favorite because they’re all our babies. However, if you ask any songwriter “What’s your favorite song that you’ve written?”you’ll probably get the same answer: “It’s the last song that I wrote.” It’s easy to fall in love with your latest inspiration because that’s usually holding a spot in the front of your mind. So currently, “That Thing” is a favorite of ours - closely followed by two others that we are recording as we write this!
5. Who or what has inspired you most in your music career? This is going to sound like a silly answer, but probably the Jonas Brothers! We started playing music when Kalina was 13 and Kiana was 11. That was right around the time the Jonas Brothers were huge. We went to their concert, we had all their albums, we were completely obsessed. We also thought we were going to marry them. That didn’t work out, but it’s fine. We really looked up to them, and it was so cool that they were a sibling band too. As they’ve started their comeback over the last year, the inspiration picked up where it left off. We love their songwriting style and their energy.
6. Tell us where you live and what the music scene is like there? We live in Orange County and the music scene is great. And we are also sandwiched between two other great music scenes as well - LA and San Diego. All three are so different. The San Diego scene is super chill, the Orange County scene is more artsy, and the LA scene is cool and edgy. We are very fortunate to live in a place where there are music and opportunities everywhere you turn.
7. Do you have any advice for new independent artists who are just starting out? Find your niche. It’s okay to be “influenced” by other artists, but you’ve got find your own thing if you want to stand out. Find something unique about your style or about your sound and hold onto it. If you connect with it and are passionate about it, then listeners will pick up on that and be passionate about it too.
8. What are your plans for the summer? Doing anything fun and exciting? This summer is all about making new music. We’re finishing recording the rest of this concept project! “That Thing” is the first of three singles that will all have the same underlying theme. We’ve never done any sort of “concept” album before. This has been an exciting writing challenge for us. Making more music is what the summer has in store for us.
9. What’s coming up in the future In addition to our Kalina & Kiana releases, we also write for a few film and TV projects, including “Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends” that can be seen on Netflix. There’s also an animated series in development that is top secret. If it all comes together, we’ll have our hands full writing for that as well! In the meantime, you can catch us at some local shows in Orange County and LA throughout the summer.
10. Tell us where fans can access your music. You can hear our music anywhere that you can stream or purchase music! Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, iTunes, Amazon, our website… and the list goes on. Thanks so much for listening! Spotify